I like the small round tortillas you find in Latino groceries (or the dairy isle of a large supermarket). They are cheap, store well, and pretty yummy. Look for thin ones, though; the thicker varieties are harder to work with if you want to roll or bend them. The quantity in one package can be challenging for a single cook though. 50?? What on earth do you do with 50 tortillas before they go stale?
Rest assured dear reader, there are ideas galore. Here are five to start you off with:
1. Quesadilla. On a griddle or in a saute pan, heat two tortillas stuffed with any suitable fillings, including but not limited to cheese, refried beans, avocado, sauteed vegetables, cooked spinach, leftover cooked meat or poultry… When toasted and warm through, serve with toppings like salsa and sour cream.
2. Enchilada Casserole. Mostly, it’s less work than enchiladas. Layer sauce, tortillas, vegetables, cheese, and beans or meat in a casserole dish. Top with cheese. Bake for about 45 minutes at 375 or until heated through and lightly browned on top.
3. Roll-ups. Layer deli-sliced cheese on a tortilla. Add a slice of sliced meat, a large shrimp, or some roasted vegetables. Roll and skewer. Best if baked or grilled (use kebab sticks), but could be served cold. Serve with a dipping sauce suitable to the filling. Excellent finger food for parties.
4. Kinda Tortilla Soup. Heat 1 cup broth. Add the juice from a lime wedge and a few drops of hot sauce. Tear up two tortillas and add to the broth. Any leftover cooked vegetables or frozen vegetables like carrots, spinach, or onions may be added. Heat until boiling. Top with grated cheese, chopping scallions, pieces of chicken, and/or cooked shrimp. This is definitely the best way to use stale, dry tortillas.
5. Baked Tortillas Chips. Cut into quarters. Spray with oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake at 400 F for 10 minutes, or until barely browned.
When in doubt, freeze. Divide into stacks of 10 and freeze in freezer bags. Label. Previously frozen tortillas are best eaten heated and with soups, stews, or otherwise juicy foods. Go forth and use your tortillas!