Snacks are a bit of a downfall for many people. One stays at work later than expected, and at 6 pm the quarters come out for the peanut M and Ms in the vending machine (*cough* guilty *cough*). Even something like being stuck in a traffic jam– I was once stuck in the same mile on an interstate for almost four hours– or having someone call a last minute meeting can throw off your sensible meal plan. So what can a hungry person do?
1) Go hungry. I don’t recommend it. Generally leads to grouchiness, uncalled for snarkiness, mistakes, and overeating at the next meal.
2) Keep some non-perishable snacks in you bag/desk/car/life. It has to be something that you’ll eat, but not something that you love some much that you’ll grab it at any sign of hunger.
3) Strategize healthier snack options beforehand so you don’t hit the vending machine. Instead, you walk over to the store for an apple and packet of peanuts.
4) Pack snacks every day (or most days).
Generally, the most satifying snacks involve some protein, some carbohydrates, and some healthy fats. A good rule of thumb is to eat at least two food groups, preferably three. Now, the next question is what sort of snacks are easy?
- 1. Nuts
- 2. Dried fruit or fruit bars
- 3. Whole grain crackers or brown rice cakes
- 4. Hot or cold whole grain cereal, like oatmeal
- 5. Packets of dried or canned fish (sardines, anyone?)
- 6. Popcorn, the plainer the better
- 7. Spoonful of peanut butter…
- 8. Dried vegetables, like kale chips, or nori
- 9. Chocolate granola bites or
10. Fruit cups with fruit sauce or fruit pieces in juice (applesauce, pineapple pieces in juice, etc. ). DIY: can your own in 4 or 8 oz jars.
- 1. Spring rolls
- 2. Fresh fruit: apples, pears, oranges, etc
- 3. Yogurt or cheese
- 4. Homemade tofu chocolate pudding
- 5. Blanched or raw vegetable sticks
- 6. Bean and vegetable dips or spreads like
- 8. Olives, or avocado, with or without spices
- 9. Awesome
- pseudo open-face sandwiches
10. Popsicles (made with whole fruit purees and yogurt/soymilk/nut butters)
What else? Anything you like that is reasonably healthy. A cup of vegetable soup, blanched green beans, leftover fritatta… Keep hunger away with good food!
Linked to: Pennywise Platter