Oh most excellent cornbread. The secret is soaking the cornmeal and an extra egg (Southern-style). If you prefer a sweeter bread, use the apple. Otherwise, the squash is good. This is delicious with soup, toasted with cheese, or reheated with butter and honey.
You can buy whole grain cornmeal if you look hard. Be sure to store it in the fridge or freezer, though, as it spoils quickly.
1/2 + 1/3 c fine cornmeal
1 c milk
1/3 c corn flour
1/3 c rice flour
1 T baking powder
2 T sugar
2 large eggs
4 T oil
1/2 c grated apple, yellow squash or zucchini
1. Place 1/2 c cornmeal in a small mixing bowl with the milk. Stir well and let soak.
2. Grease an 8 by 8 in pan. Preheat oven to 375 F.
3. Mix 1/3 c corn meal, corn flour, rice flour, baking powder, and sugar in a medium mixing bowl.
4. Add the eggs, oil, and grated apple to the milk mixture. Mix well.
5. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, lightly and quickly.
6. Pour into the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.